st: 64-bit Memory Limits

From   "Tim R. Sass" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: 64-bit Memory Limits
Date   Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:19:21 -0400

A while back Alan Riley posted the following response to a question I posed on the Stata list.

"A 64-bit version of Stata is indeed able to allocate more than 4GB of RAM. In fact, in theory it would be able to allocate up to 4GB * 4GB of RAM--that is, roughly 16 BILLION GB. In practice, of course, no computers have that much RAM."

IBM now has an Opteron-based workstation running Linux that can be configured with two processors and up to 16GB of RAM (8GB per processor). Am I correct in assuming that Stata would be able to access all 16 GB of RAM on such a system (less whatever the OS requires). In other words would it be possible to have a memory value of say 17000M?

Would the answer be the same if the machine were running 64-bit Windows (when a 64-bit Stata version for Windows becomes available)?

Tim

Tim R. Sass
Professor Voice: (850)644-7087
Department of Economics Fax: (850)644-4535
Florida State University E-mail: [email protected]
Tallahassee, FL 32306-2180 Internet: http://garnet.acns.fsu.edu/~tsass

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/