Re: Fwd: st: Greek characters in graph titles

From   Mark Schaffer <[email protected]>
To   [email protected], Thomas Trikalinos <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: Fwd: st: Greek characters in graph titles
Date   Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:01:22 +0100 (BST)

Thomas,

Quoting Thomas Trikalinos <[email protected]>:

> Actually, you may get some greek Letters (capital Pi , capital
> sigma,
> mu) used for standard mathematical notation using the _char(n)_
> string
> function, where n=1 to n=255. The function returns ASCII characters.

This is what I meant in my earlier posting.  Below n=128 is "ascii proper",
i.e., official standard ascii characters.  n=128 to 255 can vary from
scheme to scheme.  Apparently ISO 8859-7 and windows-1253 are two schemes
that handle Greek - see

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/unicode/greek.html

If you install one of these two fonts and change the Stata display font to
use it, then when you display chars 128-255 you should get, along with some
other stuff, the Greek alphabet.

Cheers,
Mark

> You can easily check which letter corresponds to what number, using
>
> something like:
>
> . forvalues i = 1(1)255 {
> . local character = char(`i')
> . di "for n=`i', ASCII char = `character'"
> . }
>
> Then, if you need capital Delta for example set a proper local
> macro:
>
> . local delta = char(198)   // in my Mac at least
>
> and then you can use the character in titles etc:
>
> . sysuse auto
> . gr two scatter mpg rep78, ytitle("The letter is the greek Delta:
>
> `delta'")
>
> Well I trust you have better use for _`delta'_ than this example.
>
> Cheers
>
> Tom
>

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> > From: Thomas Trikalinos <[email protected]> (.Mac)
> > Date: July 21, 2004 16:18:41 EEST
> > To: [email protected]
> > Subject: Re: st: Greek characters in graph titles
> >
> > I gave up long ago.
> >
> > Tom
> >
> > On Jul 21, 2004, at 14:15, D.Christodoulou wrote:
> >
> >> Dear Statalisters,
> >>
> >> Apparently, Stata does not allow Greek characters. Is that the
> case ?
> >> I attempted to insert some greek characters from the Do-File
> editor
> >> in a
> >> graph-title
> >> and the result was dissapointing.
> >>
> >> Is there a way to do this, or shall I give up trying.
> >> many thanks in advance,
> >> Dimitris
> >>
> >> ---------------------------------------------
> >> Dimitris Christodoulou
> >> Teaching and Research Associate
> >> School for Business and Regional Development
> >> University of Wales, Bangor
> >> Hen Coleg
> >> LL57 2DG Bangor
> >> UK
> >> e-mail: [email protected]
> >> ---------------------------------------------
> >> *
> >> *   For searches and help try:
> >> *   http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/findit.html
> >> *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
> >> *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
> >>

> > *
> > *   For searches and help try:

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Director, CERT
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3008
email: [email protected]
web: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/ecomes

DISCLAIMER:

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential
whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient
you are prohibited from using any of the information contained
in this e-mail.  In such a case, please destroy all copies in
your possession and notify the sender by reply e-mail.  Heriot
Watt University does not accept liability or responsibility
for changes made to this e-mail after it was sent, or for
viruses transmitted through this e-mail.  Opinions, comments,
conclusions and other information in this e-mail that do not
relate to the official business of Heriot Watt University are
not endorsed by it.