st: Use of tvc with stcox

From   "Wagner, Joseph" <[email protected]>
To   "'STATAList'" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Use of tvc with stcox
Date   Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:51:47 -0400

I am not sure that I have correctly interpreted the explanation for the use
of -tvc-

I have a data set of persons all of whom have hepatitis c and hiv.  Half of
these persons take an antiretroviral but most did not start when they got
hiv.  My end point is end stage liver disease (ESLD).  Since hepC is a risk
factor for ESLD, I -st set- my data thus:

stset eslddate, id(id) failure(esld) origin(hcvdate) scale(365.25)

 eslddate = date of esld
 hcvdate = date of hcv
 esld = end stage liver disease yes/no

Age at hcv infection (agehcv) is an important covariate I wish to include in
my model.  I also know that antiretroviral exposure is a risk factor for
esld but the time on the drugs varies after hiv infection.  I want to use
the time they were on antiretrovirals (arttime) as a time varying covariate
so I did this:

 stcox agehcv, tvc(arttime)

I'm not sure if I have oversimplified the intention of this command.  I wish
to take into account the varying effect of exposure to antiretrovirals.