RE: st: RE: Novel feature of -shell- under Windows

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Novel feature of -shell- under Windows
Date   Tue, 13 Jul 2004 17:33:42 +0100

Another partial work around, indirectly, is not to install
stuff deep in a file hierarchy and never to use spaces in
directory or folder names.

For example, I always install a new release of
Stata in a directory like c:\stata8, never
in c:\program files\stata\stata 8, or wherever.

This may be frowned upon as a violation of
Windows conventions, but the advantages
of less typing and never having to worry
about spaces are considerable over some years
of use.

Naturally, this presupposes that "you" have
control over what goes on "your" machine
and where. I have heard of set-ups where it is presumed
that what comes with the PC and what is provided
by the university centrally will provide all that
you need for research: the possibility that a
researcher would have personal software needs and preferences
beyond this provision was not entertained.

Stas Kolenikov