st: String variable as text labels below x-axis

From   n p <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: String variable as text labels below x-axis
Date   Thu, 8 Jul 2004 06:35:37 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Statalisters,

I have a dataset including three numeric indices (say
a, b, c) for the quality of a course, the number of
the students of the course (N), the year (Y) of the
course as a labeled numeric variable (1->"98-99",
2->"99-00" etc.) and a string variable (name)
containing the name(s) of the instructor(s). The
number of instructors varies across years from 1 to 5
thus my string variable is quite long in some cases. I
want to produce a graph showing the evolution of these
three indices through time. I have used something
like:

. sc a b c  Y,xlabel( ,val  ) c(l l l ) mlabel(name)

but I am looking for a more elegant graph. More
specifically I would like to see the name or names of
the instructors plotted (stacked beneath each other if
more than one) below the ylabels (98-99, 99-00 ...) or
in a similar way within the graph in a constant
height.

I am asking this because although it's possible to
achieve such a graph using the added_text_options I
suppose or by editing the graph outside Stata, I have
lots of such datasets to plot.

Thanks for any ideas

Nikos Pantazis

Biostatistician