st: RE: -tabodds- versus -cc-

From   "VISINTAINER PAUL" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: -tabodds- versus -cc-
Date   Wed, 7 Jul 2004 17:02:51 -0400

Clint,

I think your confusion about the tests of homogeneity stems from what is
being tested.  A test of homogeneity can be use to test whether the
exp-dis ORs differ over a third variable (effect modification) or
whether the ORs differ over several levels of an exposure
variable--regardless of whether a third variable is present.

-tabodds- allows you to examine the effect of an exposure that is
measured at more than 2 levels, e.g., 4x2; a 4-level exposure crossed
with a 2-level disease state.  The real advantage of the -tabodds-
command is that the score test helps us to determine whether there is a
"dose-response" relationship.   The test of homogeneity can be used to
detect a "threshold" of exposure.  This test, though, still is based on
two variables.  (-tabodds- allows adjustment for a third variable, but
not a test of interaction).   The main thing to remember is to use
-tabodds- to examine a multi-level exposure.

The test of homogeneity in the -cc, by()- command is testing effect
modification.  In this case, the test overlaps the -mhodds- command,
which does the same thing.  We use this to address the question of
whether the exp-dis ORs are the same over strata of a third variable.
Obviously, if the test of homogeneity indicates that the ORs do differ
over strata of the third variable (i.e., the test is significant), using
a single statistic like the MH-odds to summarize the data may be quite
misleading.

pfv

Paul F. Visintainer, PhD
Professor and Program Director