Re: st: The philosophy behind storing missing values as very large positive numb

From   "jockmcdock" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: The philosophy behind storing missing values as very large positive numb
Date   Sat, 03 Jul 2004 16:11:12 -0000

--- In [email protected], Richard Williams
<Richard.A.Williams.5@n...> wrote:
> At 03:21 AM 7/3/2004 -0400, jockmcdock@n... wrote:
> >One thing in Stata that irks me is the treatment of missing values.
Stata
> >(IMO) does not handle missings consistenly. For example, if I issue a
> >regression command, missings are recognised as missings and these
values
> >are not included in the regression. However, if I type
> >
> >gen x=1 if (y>10)
> >
> >then x has the value 1 even if y is missing. In other words, Stata
treats
> >as a real value. It's a problem that's easy to solve, but if you
forget to
> >include "& y!=.", you can create problems further down the line. Other
> >statistical packages get this right.
>
> There was a discussion of this in a lengthy thread last January that
starts at

> http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2004-01/msg00121.html
>
> My own "If I ruled the world" preference is given at
>
> http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2004-01/msg00136.html
>
> But, since I don't rule the world, I've learned to try to live with
Stata's
> way of doing things.

> OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
> FAX:    (574)288-4373
> HOME:   (574)289-5227
> EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@N...
> WWW (personal):    http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam
> WWW (department):    http://www.nd.edu/~soc

Thanks for the replies, guys. Richard, I'm pretty much in line with
your thoughts. But I can live with the present implementation.

I've just graduated from 7 to 8 and haven't as yet had cause to use
.a/.b/etc but you're right that's something I'll have to keep in mind.

Regards

Joseph