Re: st: What's off-topic for Statalist? (was How to calculateadjusted standard errors in Quattro Pro)

From   SamL <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: What's off-topic for Statalist? (was How to calculateadjusted standard errors in Quattro Pro)
Date   Thu, 1 Jul 2004 13:16:09 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks, Michael, for your note.

1)I did not say *I* would unsubsribe.  I suggested others who contribute a
lot of stuff one cannot get on other lists might unsubscribe (and I used
the eloquent "de-subscribe" form of the verb for emphasis)  :-)  .

2)Whether something is increasing or not is an empirical question.
However, I submit it is easier for someone who does not need the
information to track trends than someone who does.  As you use the program
and therefore can use some of that info, and may also be on other better
lists for that info, your apprehension of its incidence on statalist may
be dulled from its usual sharpness.  BUT, this is an empirical question,
not a matter of principle.  We can check the trends if we want.

3)I would not put your posting of your programming in the "not relevant"
list.  I thought that was a very helpful piece of engineering about the
interface of two programs, one of which was stata.  I would not put the
recent posting about "how to make the stata windows re-size in XP" on the
irrelevant list either--however, I did want to remark that I wanted stata
to focus on stats, not window size.  But, I submit, it is getting a bit
off topic for someone to say "I don't have time to learn how to do this in
stata, can someone on statalist tell me how to do this in MSWord."  I
would think that is pretty much off topic, and that is the basis of my
concern.

Respectfully,

Sam