st: Re: What's off-topic for Statalist? (was How to calculate adjusted standard errors in Quattro Pro)

Subject   st: Re: What's off-topic for Statalist? (was How to calculate adjusted standard errors in Quattro Pro)
Date   Thu, 1 Jul 2004 16:33:21 -0400

Just a quick follow-up.  I took a look at the June 2004 Statalist archive ,
which was a fairly heavy month (in my opinion) for MS Word related posts.  I
counted one 4 post thread about simply how to copy a graph from Stata to
Word and an 8 post thread (which I participated in) about copying many
graphs between Stata and MS Word (including how to structure Stata code to
produce many graphs).  Several of those posts were people asking details and
thanking posters.  I guess it was those two threads that prompted a 3 post
thread suggesting the creation of a faq about working with MS Office and
Stata.  There was also a 2 post thread on exporting output to Excel (but
applies to any spreadsheet) and one on copy graphs to officewriter running
on Linux.

Anyway, excluding the thread about creating a faq, I counted 12 MS Word
messages in June.  There were 878 messages posted, giving us a whopping 1.4%
of messages in June devoted to MS Word, or 1.6% devoted to MS Office if you
count the 2 Excel posts.  Given that there were only 2 MS Word threads, I'd
say they received a level of interest from Stata users as least as large as
many other topics.

If this is exponential growth, we're pretty early on the curve.

Michael Blasnik