st: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Multiple commands under "By varlist"?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Multiple commands under "By varlist"?
Date   Sat, 26 Jun 2004 16:06:34 +0100

Yes and no. Sorry to repeat the point, but you
put the blame in the wrong place again
in talking of the inefficiency of -while-,
which is just a framework and not to blame
for what's inside.

The ineffiency of -while- is in going (e.g.)

local i = 1
while `i' < 1000 {
	local i = `i' + 1
}

rather than (say)

forval i = 1/1000 {
}

-- although note that not every -while-
can be made a -forval- --

but that's small beer compared with the
possible inefficiency of what the user
puts within the loop, which is the issue here.

Subhankar Nayak