st: Re: RE: Multiple commands under "By varlist"?

From   "Subhankar Nayak" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: RE: Multiple commands under "By varlist"?
Date   Sat, 26 Jun 2004 09:57:20 -0400

Thanks Nick,

I tried the -statsby- command as Scott Merryman suggested and the -forval-
command that you are suggesting. But both these take almost exactly the same
amount of time as the -while- looping command... (Given my program code,
each simulation round is taking about 240-330 seconds, and I have got 1000
simulation rounds, if not more).

The -by- command is so much faster than the -while- command...

If I compare

by month: regress returns factor

vs.

local i = 1
while i <= 1000 {
regress returns factor if `i' == month
local i = `i' + 1
}

I find that the -by- command is atleast 15-20 times faster than the -while-
loop.
Given this, it would be really wonderful to be able to execute multiple
commands under -by-...
Some wishful thinking!