Re: Re: st: St: cluster graphing

From   "Anders Alexandersson" <>
To   <>
Subject   Re: Re: st: St: cluster graphing
Date   Fri, 25 Jun 2004 13:05:02 -0500

Justin <> asked,

> I did a nonheirarchical cluster analysis, using 3 variables and
obtaining 9
> clusters.  I am trying to graph this so I can visually show how these
> were classified, but the cluster tree only works for heirarchical.
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

and Ken Higbee from StataCorp provided several good suggestions. I just
want to add a few

The Stata manual for cluster analysis points out that in the
introduction on page 5 that
"there exist infinitely more ways to perform a cluster analysis than
people who perform them".

Justin, do you have any theoretical idea of how the the variables are
distributed, e.g., elliptically?
Does a scatterplot with the third variable overlaid also suggest 9

Anders Alexandersson