st: RE: egen and computing fixed effects

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: egen and computing fixed effects
Date   Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:42:57 +0100

-egen- is going to calculate
a mean over missing and non-missing
values of its argument alike. The
mean so calculated will be the mean
of the non-missings but it will
be attached to missings too.

You can see for this for yourself
by e.g.

. sysuse auto
. egen mean = mean(rep78), by(foreign)
. edit foreign rep78 mean

Your d2 variables should set things
straight again, however. Whenever
a response is missing,

response - mean = missing - mean = missing

irrespective of what is in mean.

The explanation lies elsewhere, I guess.
Is -student- ever missing?

Tim R. Sass

http://garnet.acns.fsu.edu/~tsass