Re: st: Text editors FAQ updated

From   "Dimitriy V. Masterov" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Text editors FAQ updated
Date   Sun, 20 Jun 2004 13:34:26 -0500 (CDT)

This text editor FAQ is incredibly useful. I've been using gvim for a few
months now, and it makes editing do files much more pleasant and a lot
quicker.

I was wondering if some user would be kind enough to share his _gvimrc
file with the list. This is a list of commands in this are executed when
the GUI is started. I've been adding features (see my own file below), but
I feel there are many I don't even imagine that would be useful,
especially with Stata. In particular, is there a way to run the do file as
some sort of ex command?

Thank you in advance.

Dimitriy V. Masterov

" This is my gvimrc file.
" The commands in this are executed when the GUI is started.
" Last change: 6/19/04
" To use it, copy it to: $VIM\_gvimrc

set guifont=-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--14-130-75-75-c-70-iso8859-1

set ch=2				" Makes command line two lines
high

set mousehide			" Hide the mouse when typing text
set hi=200				" Set history of ex commands==200
set tabstop=4			" Sets Tab==4 spaces
behave mswin			" makes it behave like a windows text
editor
set ai                 " Turn on autoindenting

" This makes the middle button on the mouse paste
map <S-Insert> <MiddleMouse>
map! <S-Insert> <MiddleMouse>

" This fixes PageUp & PageDown
" PgDn
imap ;5~    <C-O>:n<CR>
map  ;5~    :n<CR>
" PgUp
imap ;5~    <C-O>:N<CR>
map  ;5~    :N<CR>

" makes sure that the backspace key works the way it should
set backspace=indent,eol,start
fixdel

" Only do this for Vim version 5.0 and later.
if version >= 500

  " I like highlighting strings inside C comments
  let c_comment_strings=1

  " Switch on syntax highlighting if it wasn't on yet.
  if !exists("syntax_on")
    syntax on
  endif

  " Switch on search pattern highlighting.
  set hlsearch
  "Set show command in LH corner
	set showcmd
  " show matching brackets
	set showmatch
  " set show mode
	set showmode
  " Set nice colors
  " background for normal text is light grey
  " Text below the last line is darker grey
  " Cursor is green, Cyan when ":lmap" mappings are active
  " Constants are not underlined but have a slightly lighter background
  " highlight Normal guibg=grey90
    highlight Cursor guibg=yellow guifg=yellow
    highlight Visual guibg=yellow guifg=yellow
    highlight lCursor guibg=yellow guifg=yellow
  " highlight NonText guibg=grey80
  " highlight Constant gui=NONE guibg=grey95
  " highlight Special gui=NONE guibg=grey95

  " Set background to blue
	colo darkblue

endif

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004, Nick Cox wrote:

> Thanks to Kit Baum, the FAQ on text editors and Stata at
> http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/t/textEditors.html
> has been updated.
>
> The change consists principally of a new section by Fredrik
> Wallenberg on the Macintosh editor SubEthaEdit at
> http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/t/textEditors.html#subethaedit
>
> This brings the number of text editors with syntax highlighting
> (colouring) support for Stata to 14, and the number of
> contributors to that FAQ to 30. Well done and thanks,
> respectively!
>
> Nick
> [email protected]

Dimitriy V. Masterov