RE: st: Multinomial Logit vs. Regression with dummy

From   SR Millis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: Multinomial Logit vs. Regression with dummy
Date   Fri, 18 Jun 2004 06:54:20 -0700 (PDT)

Scott Menard's book, "applied logistic regression
analysis (2nd ed)" published by Sage provides an
excellent discussion of the potential limitations of
the multinomial logistic regression model---and
discusses alternatives.

SR Millis

--- Sugie Lee <[email protected]> wrote:
> It seems like that -discrim- can only deal with a
> binary dependent
> variable(0/1).
>
> .discrim CITY INDEP1 INDEP2 INDEP3 INDEP4
>
> This command did not work because CITY has three
> groups (city A, city B,
> city C).
>
> I looked at previous postings in the STATA Archive
> about discriminant
> analysis.
> I think we have two ado files for discriminant
> analysis: -discrim-
> and -daoneway-.
> But -daoneway- is not running on the STATA 8 of
> which I am using. It's for
> STATA 7.
>
> Nick suggested multinomial logit analysis for this
> kind of case(see the
> below posting on Dec. 11th 2002).
> His suggestion seems like what I was supposed to do
> with multinomial logit
> analysis.
>
> .mlogit CITY INDEP1 INDEP2 INDEP3 INDEP4
>
> I agree that this approach is a little bit weird.
> But the result looks like what I expect.
> Is this approach seriously flawed?
> Any comment or better ideas?
> Thanks,
>
> sugie
>

> st: RE: discriminant function analysis

> ----
> From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
> To   <[email protected]>
> Subject   st: RE: discriminant function analysis
> Date   Wed, 11 Dec 2002 23:01:53 -0000

> ----
> Sheela Athreya
> > Does anyone know if it is possible to perform the
> following
> > analysis on
> > STATA:
> >
> > I have a set of 35 fossils, from known taxonomic
> groups
> > (1,2,3).  There
> > are five measurements per fossil.  I then have a
> single
> > newly discovered
> > fossil, and want to find out how it will be
> classified
> > based on these
> > measurements.
> >
> > I wanted to use discriminant function analysis,
> but I'm not
> > sure if a)
> > that is the right approach, and b) how I can do it
> using the command
> > -discrim-, which requires that the grouping
> variable be
> > only 0/1, instead
> > of the three groups I have defined a priori.
>
> With two categories discriminant analysis
> is typically inferior to logit, but as
> you have three, this sounds much more like -mlogit-
> in Stata [sic]. However, I yield to experts here.
>
> Nick
> [email protected]

> ----

=====
Scott R Millis, PhD, MEd, ABPP (CN & RP)
Director, Office of Clinical Trials
Kessler Medical Rehabilitation Research & Education Corp
1199 Pleasant Valley Way
West Orange, NJ  07052

This electronic message may contain information that is confidential
and/or legally privileged. It is intended only for the use of the
individual(s) and entity named as recipients in the message. If you are
not an intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the material from any computer. Do not deliver,
distribute or copy this message, and do not disclose its contents or
take any action in reliance on the information it contains. Thank you.