Re: st: How to get the variable name

From   "Renzo Comolli" <>
To   <>
Subject   Re: st: How to get the variable name
Date   Fri, 18 Jun 2004 02:20:49 -0400

Dear Maoyong,

I am not sure what you are asking about, but if you are asking to perform
the same operation on all variables, then do the following

foreach v of varlist _all {
 command referring to `v'

*From   "Maoyong Fan" <>
To   "statalist" <>
Subject   st: How to get the variable name
Date   Thu, 17 Jun 2004 22:58:12 -0800

Dear Friends,

	I just wonder how can I get the list of varibale name automatically
instead of looking at describe list.  If I can get the list of the variable
name and store them into a local variable, I could use "foreach var in local
var" to do data management on each variable.  Because I have do deal with
more than 100 stata data files and do some data management for each data
file.  Using loop will same a lot of time than do that manually.

Warm regards,

Maoyong Fan