RE: st: Multinomial Logit vs. Regression with dummy

From   "Sugie Lee" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Multinomial Logit vs. Regression with dummy
Date   Thu, 17 Jun 2004 22:34:27 -0400

It seems like that -discrim- can only deal with a binary dependent
variable(0/1).

.discrim CITY INDEP1 INDEP2 INDEP3 INDEP4

This command did not work because CITY has three groups (city A, city B,
city C).

I looked at previous postings in the STATA Archive about discriminant
analysis.
I think we have two ado files for discriminant analysis: -discrim-
and -daoneway-.
But -daoneway- is not running on the STATA 8 of which I am using. It's for
STATA 7.

Nick suggested multinomial logit analysis for this kind of case(see the
below posting on Dec. 11th 2002).
His suggestion seems like what I was supposed to do with multinomial logit
analysis.

.mlogit CITY INDEP1 INDEP2 INDEP3 INDEP4

I agree that this approach is a little bit weird.
But the result looks like what I expect.
Is this approach seriously flawed?
Any comment or better ideas?
Thanks,

sugie