Re: st: Taking Means of Vars Across Time Period

From   Thomas Trikalinos (.Mac) <>
Subject   Re: st: Taking Means of Vars Across Time Period
Date   Wed, 16 Jun 2004 18:50:37 +0300

Can't you put everything in the same dataset? you can use a coding variable named data to indicate origin of the pertinent observations.
(If the corresponding vars are not identically named in different datasets rename them all to var1 , var2 and var3).

. use dataSet1.dta
. gen data =1
. append using dataSet2.dta
. replace data = 2 if data ==.

etc, and then calculate whatever you want. eg for all obs pooled

. summ

or for each dataset separately

. bysort data: summ

PS you can easily automate that, if you have more than 10 datasets (or even with ten). rename the datasets as dataSet1.dta etc.; write and run the do file:

use dataSet1.dta
gen data =1

local i = 2
while `i' <11 {
append using dataSet`i'.dta
replace data = `i' if data ==.
local i = `i' +1

Which in essence does the same as the step by step process.