st: Criteria for stratification??

From   samirkc <>
Subject   st: Criteria for stratification??
Date   Wed, 16 Jun 2004 16:42:41 +0200

I have a discrete variable (health status) which takes value from -1.6 to 1. The data consists of pre and post values of the variable. I want to categorize the variable in 3-7 categories in order to study the movement between categories . How can I do this? What Criteria should I use to determine the best categorization, in terms of 1. number of categories and, 2. cutoffs. Please respond.

* For searches and help try: