st: RE: Escaping dollar sign in graphs

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Escaping dollar sign in graphs
Date   Mon, 14 Jun 2004 22:12:40 +0100

This is indeed a nuisance when you want something
different from Stata's treatment here. The cross-reference
implied is to the thread started by Phil Ryan on
21 May. See e.g.

The story there is that using the escape character
works only so far as the next program called, which
sees e.g. $US or $CA and misinterprets those
as references to global macros. The story there
also is that using SMCL provides an  existing

Patrick clearly flagged this as a question
for StataCorp, but it would seem 20 years too
late to undefine $ as indicating global macros.

Possibly StataCorp can define c($) as the dollar
symbol as a less cryptic alternative to {c S|}
or `=char(36)'. No idea how difficult that would