st: logistic ---- assessment of model fit via external validation

From   <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: logistic ---- assessment of model fit via external validation
Date   Wed, 09 Jun 2004 12:06:51 -0600

Hello All ---
I'm using Intercooled Stata, 8.2.  In Hosmer & Lemeshow's
"Applied Logistic Regression", the authors indicate that it may
be possible to exclude a subsample of observations, develop a
model, then test the model on the excluded observations
(p.171).  I'm interested in doing just that, although I'm at a
loss as to if -- and how -- something like this can be
implemented in Stata.  I've searched the Statalist archives,
UCLA's statistics portal, and a few different textbooks for
hints on how this 'external validation' can be implemented, but
to no avail.  Note that I do not want to generate new
coefficients for the second sub-sample, rather, I want to use
the coefficients generated from the first sub-sample in
estimating a classification table for the second sub-sample.
As always, any suggestions are much appreciated!
many thanks,
Clint