st: temporary objects - conflicts of memory?

From   "Giovanni Vecchi" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: temporary objects - conflicts of memory?
Date   Wed, 9 Jun 2004 10:58:20 +0200

Dear statalisters,

I am facing a problem which is becoming recurrent, if not systematic, in
my stata sessions.

The setting is as follows. I have a set of files named 1839old.dta,
1840old.dta, ... up to 1891old.dta. I want to loop through these files,
carry out a few changes, and save each file with a different name. The
outline of my code is as follows:

foreach year of numlist 1839(1)1891 {

	use `year'old, clear

	< do some changes >

	save `year'new, replace
}

When the code above is run I get the following error:

file C:\DOCUME~1\Vecchi\LOCALS~1\Temp\ST_01000079.tmp could not be
opened

What is puzzling/disturbing is that the error above occurs at different
stages of the procedure: on re-running the procedure again and again the
error sometimes pop up after year 1855, other times after year 1857 etc.

My guess is that the problem is caused by a conflict with the operating
system (is it fighting Stata on memory allocation issues?).

I am currently running stata under windows XP professional, but I obtain
the same results under other OS.

The fact that error messages of the type above have been recurrent in my
past experience with stata, and the fact that other users I know of have
shared the same problems suggest that the issue might be worth being
addressed once and for all by statacorp staff.

Sincerely,
Giovanni Vecchi

Giovanni VECCHI
Dipartimento di Economia e Istituzioni