st: Unexpected behavior: commands issued from GUI User menu don't appear in result window, review window, and log file

From   "Renzo Comolli" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Unexpected behavior: commands issued from GUI User menu don't appear in result window, review window, and log file
Date   Thu, 3 Jun 2004 01:55:38 -0400

The following is an unexpected behavior from the User menu in the GUI

The correct (usual) behavior is the following: when you issue a command from
the GUI menus they go into the result window, the review window and the log
file.
E.g. is you use the GUI to issue the command
. graph bar (mean) varname
You see it in the three places mentioned above.
That is great!

But if you add to your profile.do the following line
. window menu append item "stUserData" "my_data" `"use "my_data.dta",
clear"'
and then you use the GUI to execute the instruction, the only thing that you
see in the result window is a dot; nothing is passed into the review window,
or the log file.
I consider this an undesirable behavior.
I would expect both the result and the review window and the log file to
show
. use "my_data.dta", clear

On a positive note, I thank StataCorp for the latest, amazing update that
fixes two bugs I pointed out on this list and does much, much more than
that.

Best Regards,
Renzo Comolli