Re: st: simple question

Subject   Re: st: simple question
Date   Wed, 02 Jun 2004 14:32:38 -0500

At 03:17 PM 6/2/2004 -0400, Suzy wrote:
Hi, I have continuous variables that are coded 99999 or 77777 for unknown or refused to answer. How do I handle this? I don't want to treat them as missing, if possible.
Thank you.
Suzy
Not a simple question at all! How you handle Missing Data depends on many factors. I review a lot of the issues and more conventional options at

http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam/stats2/l12.pdf

Unless you're willing and able to be fairly high tech about it (e.g. use advanced imputation techniques), I think listwise deletion tends to work as well as anything (even though the handout describes several other options).

If you search the archives, you'll find some recent discussions of missing data issues. I think the feeling was that Stata (at least with its built-in routines) is a little on the weak side when it comes to advanced methods for handling MD.

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/