st: RE: RE: Adjacent values in graph_box

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Adjacent values in graph_box
Date   Wed, 2 Jun 2004 20:06:54 +0100

I answered this yesterday: please see the archives.

Wallace, John

Having found my wayward graphics manual, I've located the answer to my first question: the default values are the calculations proposed by Tukey in his 1977 text, Exploring Data Analysis.  The distance to the adjacent values is a multiple of the IQR (3/2 * (75th% - 25th%)).  It doesn't look like there is an explicit way to change this (make it 3SD, for example).  Does anyone know if this is ado-able, or is the graphics engine that generates the boxplot not accessible this way?