st: unable to install patches

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: unable to install patches
Date   Fri, 28 May 2004 15:58:09 +0100

Jeffrey said

Probably RepEc can provide the bundle as a zipped files, for instance all the relevant files of a particular routine-.hlp, ado, .do and data can be commprssed into a single file which the users can save and the unzip them in the ado path directories. This can potentially maximise the use of RepEc's excellent software archive.
Best,
Jeffry

There is surely NO intention nor willingness to do that; it would vastly complicate the maintenance of the SSC Archive, and lead to unending hassles with ensuring that the latest version of materials is stored in the zip files. There is no reason why one should not be able to use Stata's ssc command to download materials. There are features in Stata that allow the use of proxy servers (I had to use one at a UK uni last year in order to get ssc to work) and since Stata is merely issuing requests on port 80, the standard HTTP port, there is no reason why any browser should work on a machine yet Stata will not. The way to solve this problem is first of all to figure out why Stata cannot "see" port 80, yet a browser on the same machine can; that is not an insoluble firewall issue. See
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/web/proxy.html

Secondly, I would suggest use (as in one of my prior postings) of a utility like 'curl' or 'wget'. There must be something like that for the world's most commonly used OS.

Third, I would suggest use of the EconPapers site to download materials, from which you can right-click or option-click.

And if the latter solution is overly tedious for a SSC item with many parts, return to (1) and get the firewall issue sorted out. It is possible to do so.

Kit

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/