Stata The Stata listserver
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date index][Thread index]

RE: st: t-test command for simple cross-tabs

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: t-test command for simple cross-tabs
Date   Tue, 25 May 2004 21:23:13 +0100

There were two interesting articles in TAS which may be relevant. 

Comparing Two Proportions from the Same Survey. 
C.J. Wild; G.A.F. Seber
The American Statistician 47 (Aug. 1993), 178-181.

Difference of Proportions from the Same Survey. 
A.J. Scott; G.A.F. Seber
The American Statistician 37 (Nov. 1983), 319-320.

As I recall, however, neither boils down to a t-test. 

I was very interested in these papers when I read them, 
but never focused on how to do either in Stata. Irrespective
of whether either is the answer to Claudia's question, 
I would be happy to learn of Stata implementations. 


Claudia Solari

> Thank you so much for your response.  It is my understanding that a
> chi-square test can tell me if the relationship between two 
> variable is
> significant, lets say region (ne, mw, w, s) and age cateories (19-29,
> 30-34, 35+).  The chi-square refers to whole variables, and 
> the t-test is 
> based on the categories, such as proportion in a cell (means or
> percentages).  So, I might want to know if there are significant
> differnences in age for those who live in the NE versus the South.
> I know of a free software package that calculates my t-tests 
> (STATS), but 
> I'm not sure how to make STATA do it.   I was unable to reach the url
> that you indicated, so I am not sure if my email is redundant.  If you
> have any further comments, I would love to hear them.

Richard Williams

> > I'm probably showing my ignorance here, but what do you want to do a
> > t-test 
> > of, and how would it differ from what the chi-square test 
> tells you?  In 
> > the special case of 2 X 2 tables, it is possible to do a 
> z-test using the 
> > -prtest- command; see p. 7 of 
> >  Is that
> > what you 
> > want, or do you have something else in mind?  If 
> occupational status is a 
> > continuous variable, you could of course just use the 
> t-test command.

Claudia Solari 
> > >I am just trying to find out the command to conduct a 
> t-test for a simple
> > >crosstab, such as gender by occupational status. I know 
> there is a simple
> > >command for the chi-square test, wihc is just an option 
> for the tabulate
> > >command, but I have not found an option for a t-test.

*   For searches and help try:

© Copyright 1996–2017 StataCorp LLC   |   Terms of use   |   Privacy   |   Contact us   |   What's new   |   Site index