Re: st: t-test command for simple cross-tabs

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: t-test command for simple cross-tabs
Date   Tue, 25 May 2004 13:55:32 -0500

At 11:44 AM 5/25/2004 -0700, wrote:

I am just trying to find out the command to conduct a t-test for a simple
crosstab, such as gender by occupational status. I know there is a simple
command for the chi-square test, wihc is just an option for the tabulate
command, but I have not found an option for a t-test.

Thanks for your help!
I'm probably showing my ignorance here, but what do you want to do a t-test of, and how would it differ from what the chi-square test tells you? In the special case of 2 X 2 tables, it is possible to do a z-test using the -prtest- command; see p. 7 of Is that what you want, or do you have something else in mind? If occupational status is a continuous variable, you could of course just use the t-test command.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu