Re: st: Top 10 Tricks in Stata (summary to date)

From   Lars Korsholm <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Top 10 Tricks in Stata (summary to date)
Date   Tue, 25 May 2004 12:00:47 +0200 (MEST)

I would just add the way options are handled in user writen programs, both
with and without a syntax statement
are extreemly elegant

Others on my list have been mentioned like

update
bysort:
_n and _N in combination with by
findit
stuff returned i r() and e()
predict in/out-of sample
locals
post-estimation test commands
labels

I think the data format stuff is good but not very easy to use, so I think
it should be on both top ten and buttom ten ;-)

Lars

On Sun, 23 May 2004, Nick Cox wrote:

> On Friday 21 May 2004 I asked
>
> Which would we nominate as (say) the top ten tricks which are the
> deepest and most Stataish features in what we use? What is _both_
> simple _and_ deep?  What leads to great results with at most a few
> lines of code?

> I'd nominate straight away
>
> 1. -by:-.
>
> 2. -foreach- or -forval- with varlists or numlists.
>
> 3. -merge-. I rarely use it but -merge-masters have real leverage
> in file manipulations.
>
> 4. -assert-. My candidate for the most underestimated command in
> Stata (second is -count-).
>
> 5. -reshape-.
>
> Any other nominations?
>
> Nick
> [email protected]

> Here is a compilation of responses, edited a bit. I omitted some
> very general comments and the most facetious suggestions.  I don't
> think everyone was playing exactly the same game, not that it
> matters....
>
> Thanks to
> Judith Abrams, Alan Acock, Renzo Comolli, Rafa De Hoyos,
> Adrian de la Garza, Peter Jepsen, SamL, Arnold Levinson.
> Clive Nicholas, Bill Rising, Amani Siyam, Antoine Terracol,
> Clint Thompson, John Wallace, Richard Williams, Fred Wolfe

> -assert- (Judith Abrams, Clint Thompson)
>
> -by:- (Bill Rising, Antoine Terracol)
>
> -char- (Renzo Comolli, Bill Rising)
>
> -collapse- (Amani Siyam)
>
> -collin- (very generous amounts of well-organised output) (Clive
> Nicholas)
>
> -compress- (Bill Rising)
>
> -destring- (Rafa De Hoyos)
>
> -egen- (Amani Siyam, Antoine Terracol)
>
> -encode- (Clint Thompson)
> -encode- gets you a lot of bang for the buck: conversion of a
> string variable into a numeric with simultaneous labeling of the
> values with the original string information (John Wallace)
>
> -est table- (Clive Nicholas)
>
> comparing Stata to the competition the most useful command for me
> is -findit- (Alan Acock)
>
> -for- (especially the old one) (Judith Abrams)
> -for*- (-foreach- etc.) (Bill Rising)
>
> -generate- (Clive Nicholas)
>
> -insheet- (Clive Nicholas)
>
> -lexis- (Amani Siyam)
>
> macrolist, macros (Fred Wolfe)
>
> -margin- (very fast) (Clive Nicholas)
>
> -matrix score- (Rafa De Hoyos)
>
> -outreg- (very versatile) (Clive Nicholas)
>
> I very much like -predict-.  I especially like that it can be run
> on something other than the estimation sample.  Indeed, I
> sometimes temporarily wipe out the "real" data, type in some
> hypothetical values, run -predict-, and then restore the original
> data.  This can be quite useful for making things like logistic
> regression more tangible, where it is hard to see what impact
> variables actually have. I also like -adjust- for similar reasons.
> (Richard Williams)
>
> -recode- (Bill Rising)
>
> the versatile options of -regress-, particularly -beta- and -hc3-
> [...]

: Lars Korsholm Ph.D.,                       :
:  Department of Statistics                  :
:  University of Southern Denmark            :
:  Sdr. Boulevard 23A, 2.                    :
:  DK-5000 Odense C                          :
: Phone +45 6550 3608 (or 3868)              :
: Mobil +45 3033 3617                        :
: Fax   +45 6595 7766                        :
: Mail  [email protected]                 :
: Web   http://www.biostat.sdu.dk/~korsholm  :