Re: st: Top 10 Tricks in Stata (summary to date)

From   Ada Ma <>
Subject   Re: st: Top 10 Tricks in Stata (summary to date)
Date   Sun, 23 May 2004 19:56:28 +0100

I do lots of repetitive work. My top 10 are:

(1) -egen- without which my life would be unbearable

(2) Date formats

(3) -while- and -foreach- without them I'd have gone loopy

(4) All the math functions - I like abs and int especially

(5) All the string functions - e.g. very useful when dealing with postcodes, Unitary Authority codes, etc. It also allows me to loop through datasets with years and months as part of the filenames (so that I can have "0" precede single digit months).

(6) -program- it allows me to do a set of commands repeatedly without setting up a separate do file

(7) -xi- Hello, my name is Ada and I am a Dummy Variable Addict.

(8) -ds- I've only learnt about it from Nick Cox couple of weeks ago and it's the thing that got me start using Stata 8 SE (I had it installed on my computer for months but being obtuse I refuse to use it...)

(9) -if/else- I use the Labour Force Survey and it's slightly different in each quarter. This command allows me to do slightly different things for each year and quarter.

(10) -merge/append/joinby-

Finally, 2 very useful Stata non commands:

(1) Unix batch mode - allow me to switch off my own computer while having a remote computer run estimations that take days.

(2) "Copy Table" in the Viewer and Results windows.

Ada Ma
Research Assistant
Department of Economics
University of Aberdeen Business School