st: RE: Top ten tricks

From   "Wallace, John" <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   st: RE: Top ten tricks
Date   Fri, 21 May 2004 08:56:10 -0700

1. -encode- gets you a lot of bang for the buck: conversion of a string
variable into a numeric with simulataneous labeling of the values with the
original string information

2. seconding the nomination of -reshape-.  The fact that you can easily swap
between long and wide data formats once its been run is especially
convenient, and unexpectedly useful for a lot of what I do.

3. I can't believe no one's put -statsby- up yet.  Its my new favourite
command.  I almost never use collapse since I discovered how to use statsby.

John Wallace | Research Associate | Test Method Development
AFFYMETRIX, INC. | 3380 Central Expressway | Santa Clara, CA 95051 | Tel:
408-731-5574 | Fax:  408-481-0435.