st: identifying nonnumeric values in a variable

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: identifying nonnumeric values in a variable
Date   Wed, 19 May 2004 07:35:29 -0500

I have a dataset that has some errors in it in which a variable has a few string values. I was wondering how i can get Stata to identify these for me.  Essentially, the data is like this:

id      varx    .......
1          10
2           2
3          5 - 10
4            3
5            12

I would like Stata to be able to tell me that the varx for id3 has a value of "5 - 10" so I can then replace it and destring varx. The dataset is rather large and scanning by eye is cumbersome, especially trying to identify the times when "o" was entered instead of "0".

Any help would be appreciated.
thanks.