[no subject]

After this syntax, what is specified
in -preffect()- will be visible as `preffect'.
This will be a string (emphatically not
a string variable). The ` ' are essential.

di preffect

by itself will be interpreted as
a reference to a variable -preffect-,
in fact to -preffect[1]-, which evidently
you don't have.

If you don't have anything compulsory before
the options the syntax should be

syntax [, PREffect(string)]