st: substring

From   "Scott Merryman" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: substring
Date   Mon, 17 May 2004 20:01:55 -0500

-gen name2 = substr(name, 1,2)- would be an acceptable command if "name" is
a string variable.  For example, using the auto data set

sysuse auto, clear
(1978 Automobile Data)

. gen name = substr(make, 1,2)

. l make name in 1/3

     | make          name |
  1. | AMC Concord     AM |
  2. | AMC Pacer       AM |
  3. | AMC Spirit      AM |

It would appear that your variable name, however, is not a string variable.
You could -describe name- to see the storage type.

Scott