st: Finding out what has changed (and when)

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Finding out what has changed (and when)
Date   Thu, 13 May 2004 10:58:56 -0500

Tewodaj Mogues <[email protected]> asked as part of a thread
concerning -xtabond-

> ... If I could find out in what way Stata7 was updated to yield
> these different results ...

and

> ... I'll see if I can figure out what the update consisted of.

Mark Schaffer <[email protected]> then mentioned

> -update query-
>
> should tell you what you need to know.

I agree that this is the first step.  Make sure you are up to
date.  Then, to find out what has happened to a command in Stata,
from the menu, select

   "Help" --> "What's New?"

which will bring up the Viewer window with whatsnew.hlp (or type
-whelp whatsnew- at the command line).  Notice the button with
the binocular icon?  Click it.  Then enter

    xtabond

(or whatever command you are wanting the history for) in the
"Find:" field and then press "Find".  Keep doing this until you
have found all the references in that hlp file.  Then go to the
bottom of the page.  You will see a table for all the previous
whatsnew.hlp files.  You can click these links and check each of
these pages.

I would guess that the change that was most important in regards
to Tewodaj's difference was the ado update dated 11jun2002 (found
in whatsnew7.hlp).

I wanted to point out this general strategy for anyone else who
is seeking the history of a particular command or feature in
Stata.

Tewodaj, keep an eye open for the next ado update.  As soon as
David Drukker has finished testing, we will put out the ado
update containing the -xtabond- fix as outlined in David
Drukker's <[email protected]> 06may2004 email to statalist.

Ken Higbee    [email protected]
StataCorp     1-800-STATAPC