RE: st: RE: : unpaired regression

From   Buzz Burhans <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: RE: : unpaired regression
Date   Wed, 12 May 2004 07:13:34 -0400

At 09:56 AM 5/12/2004 +0100, you wrote:
It seems to me that lining them up is
imparting structure which goes beyond
the structure of data production. Also,
if different assays are on the same footing,
taking one as response adds another arbitrary
decision.

Nick,
I am not so sure of your concerns here,

1. If the process that generates these pairs can be construed as having been a random process, it doesn't seem it should be a problem. The 2nd level variable (batch) will account for the lack of independence within batch, the question becomes then is there a further source of non randomness within batch.

2. If there are non random elements in the generation of the results or pairings, for instance an assay time sequence within batch, or a location in the assay system such as location of wells on a plate, or an order that the aliquots etc. were obtained, couldn't it just be added as an ordinal predictor variable?

3. Selecting one as an outcome and one as a predictor should not change the significance of the level one relationship. It would require that the two models be run in order to evaluate the "batch" at level two for the two assays separately.

Alternatively, if the relationship of the within pairs is a concern, I imagine one could come up with a random subsampling scheme that included different pairings than the default original listing and bootstrapped the results.

Buzz Burhans

Buzz Burhans