Re: st: STATA reads numbers as strings

From   Ronán Conroy <>
To   "statalist" <>
Subject   Re: st: STATA reads numbers as strings
Date   Tue, 11 May 2004 17:30:52 +0100

on 11/05/2004 17:29, at wrote:

> I keep trying to import data (csv file) that are all numbers, but STATA reads
> some of them as string.  How do I get STATA to read it properly?

First check that there isn't something in there (such as a space) that is
not visible but nonnumeric. Try -destring- , which will fail if it
encounters nonnumerics.

Ronan M Conroy (
Lecturer in Biostatistics
Royal College of Surgeons