Re: st: RE: notes lost in append

From   Fred Wolfe <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: notes lost in append
Date   Tue, 11 May 2004 09:52:59 -0500

At 08:48 AM 5/11/2004, you wrote:
I thank Fred and Nick for their responses to my question about appending notes.

For the short-term, I would be happy to try Fred's suggestion if only I could figure out how to do it. Having checked the documentation, I can't see how to retrieve the notes from a data set in order to copy them into a new data set. Are they stored in some retrievable variable?
Nick wrote that solutions were "messy" and I think he is right.

Off the top of my head, you could

preserve
use the appending set

Notes are stored as char, as in

char list
nwofunc[note1]: generate nwofunc = wofunc *.05882353
nwostiff[note0]: 1

Using a foreach loop, extract the note and note number to a (probably) global macro
restore
add or replace the note in the master set with data from the global macro

It's messy, probably difficult to program, but doable.

Fred

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/