st: suest testing

From   "Vimalanand S. Prabhu" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: suest testing
Date   Fri, 7 May 2004 17:18:42 -0400

Dear All,

I recently used the suest command for jointly estimating count model of
number of vaccines purchased by both husbands and wives in a household.

After that, I tried to test for the different parameters, separately and
jointly.

i.e.
Ho: Beta1(husband)= Beta1(wife)
Ha: Beta1 (husband) not equal to Beta(wife)

I needed some help in interpretation of the results.

1. If the parameters for say education for both husband and wife are not
significant, and then I get the result that Beta-education (husband) =
Beta-education (wife) cannot be rejected. Does this result have any
significance, or that this test should not be conducted if the parameter is
not significant. If significant, what does this imply? Is it that the number
of vaccines bought by husband with a certain level of education is different
from that by a wife with the same level of education?

2. Later I conducted a joint test of whether all Betas in husband regression
are equal to the respective Betas in wife equation.

i.e.
Ho
Beta (husband)1 = Beta (wife)1
Beta (husband)2 = Beta (wife)2
Beta (husband)3 = Beta (wife)3
:
:

Ha
Beta (husband)1 not equal to Beta (wife)1
Beta (husband)2 not equal to Beta (wife)2
Beta (husband)3 not equal to Beta (wife)3
:
:

And I cannot reject the null hypothesis. What does this interpretation
imply, especially when some of the Betas are not significant? Is it that
overall, the number of vaccines bought by husbands and wives with the same
characteristics is not significantly different from each other?

Thanks,

Prabhu