Re: st: Crash Command

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: Crash Command
Date   Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:18:21 -0500

At 06:43 PM 4/23/2004 -0400, you wrote:
Does anyone know what this command does.  I'm looking over a program and
this command comes up crash; i have looked everywhere and cannot find this
command.  Thank you.
Could it be that Crash is (or was) hiding inside or some other do or ado file? I added these lines to my

program define hello
display "Hello, Rich"
program define mylist
list, sep(8)

and both the -hello- and -mylist- commands then work from within Stata. However, neither shows up when I use the -which- command. So, maybe you should look at and/or do a search of all your do and ado files to see if -crash- is defined within them.

Incidentally, -hello- and -mylist- continue to work even after I type -clear- or -discard-. I thought they would go away. So, it seems like any little shorthand commands you want could be defined in

I've seen a lot of ado files that define programs within their programs -- do these routines continue to hang around after the ado file has finished, or what? Could they be called separately, e.g. if defined a 2nd program, -myotherado-, could I then make a direct reference to -myotherado- from within Stata?

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu