st: Gllamm does more than mixed models

From   Dick Campbell <[email protected]>
To   "statalist-hsphsun2.harvard.edu" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Gllamm does more than mixed models
Date   Sun, 25 Apr 2004 09:49:36 -0500

Several recent postings have noted the desirability of having Gllamm
available as a plug-in. Gllamm is indeed a remarkable achievement. Not
only does it do a full range of mixed model analyses, it also does what
folks operating in a somewhat different statistical tradition know as
"structural equation models." And, in the case of discrete variables,
 it does them right as a forthcoming paper in Pyschometrika shows. See:

Rabe-Hesketh, S., Skrondal, A. and Pickles, A. (2004).
     Generalized multilevel structural equation modelling.
     Psychometrika, in press

Thus Gllamm provides Stata with a reasonable competitor to LISREL,
M-Plus and similar programs.

I completely understand that making Gllamm available in some form
of compiled code is no small undertaking, and I also understand why
Stata Corp. does not comment on forthcoming developments, but I
very much hope this can be done sooner rather than later.

Richard T. Campbell
Professor of Sociology
University of Illinois at Chicago

Address and other information at: