st: Puzzled by behavior of -recode varlist (.a/.z=.)-

From   "Renzo Comolli" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Puzzled by behavior of -recode varlist (.a/.z=.)-
Date   Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:53:37 -0400

Dear Statalist,

I don't understand the behavior of
. recode varlist (.a/.z=.)

I does not square with my understanding of -recode- and and the way in which
extended missing are coded (i.e. bigger than the biggest number allowed in
Stata)

By reading the manual, I see that there is an instruction
. recode varlist (missing=.)
that does exactly what I meant to do, so I am all set as far as my work is
concerned. I am just curious to understand.
The bahavior of
. recode varlist (.a/.z=.)
resembles
. recode varlist (nonmissing=.)
And it looks inconsistent with the rest of the -recode- syntax to me.

Am I just totally confused? Or is there something wrong here?

Best Regards,
Renzo Comolli