Re: st: tokenize `varlist' error?

From   David Kantor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: tokenize `varlist' error?
Date   Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:25:00 -0400

At 11:15 AM 4/23/2004 -0400, Adrian Gonzales wrote:

Dear Statalisters

I want to perform a simple procedure over 100 variables and I don t want to enter the name of each variable one by one.

If I use the first definition of varlist (below), my little procedure works fine. But if I used the second definition of varlist, using - I get an error (procedure below).

How can I solve this problem? I am sure this is very simple for most of you, but I am new trying to do these things with Stata.
[...]

local varlist p26_1_1 p26_1_2 p26_1_3

local varlist p26_1_1-p26_1_3

tokenize `varlist'

[...]

The first version of varlist contains actual variable names, so -tokenize- works fine. The second is an abbreviated list; it does not literally contain all the variables you want, plus it has a hyphen, which is not legal in variable names.

What you want is -unab-, rather than -tokenize-.

Better yet, if this is in a program, use -syntax-.

Also, you might want to use -foreach- instead of -while- (does Stata 7 have -foreach- ?).

Good Luck.
-- David

David Kantor
Institute for Policy Studies