st: tokenize `varlist' error?

From   Adrian Gonzalez-Gonzalez <>
Subject   st: tokenize `varlist' error?
Date   Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:15:32 -0400

Dear Statalisters

I want to perform a simple procedure over 100 variables and I don’t want to enter the name of each variable one by one.

If I use the first definition of varlist (below), my little procedure works fine.  But if I used the second definition of varlist, using “-“ I get an error (procedure below).

How can I solve this problem?  I am sure this is very simple for most of you, but I am new trying to do these things with Stata.

My version is 7.0 updated.

Thanks a lot

local varlist p26_1_1 p26_1_2 p26_1_3

local varlist p26_1_1-p26_1_3

tokenize `varlist'

 while "`1'" ~= "" {

  2. generate a1997`1'_=0

  3. replace  a1997`1'=1 if `1'==1997

  4. generate a1998`1'=0

  5. replace  a1998`1'=1 if `1'==1998

  6. macro shift

  7. }

invalid syntax

end of do-file

Adrian Gonzalez

Ph.D Candidate

Agricultural, Environmental and Development Economics

The Ohio State University