Re: st: Stata (gllamm) benchmarks for different platforms?

From   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stata (gllamm) benchmarks for different platforms?
Date   Thu, 22 Apr 2004 17:40:37 -0500

I wrote earlier:

"It's unclear how much of improvement there will be when Stata is optimized
for the G5 but it is something we're looking into."

I misstated this.  What I meant to say is that it's unclear how much faster
Stata with 64-bit support will be.  We've already verified that optimizing for
the G5 (which is not the same thing as adding 64-bit support) increases
performance by 10-15% (which I would consider minimal) and does not solve the
possible memory access problem (which we believe to be the real bottleneck).
Code optimized for the G5 will only run on a G5 so it's not worth doing
without 64-bit support.

-Chinh Nguyen