re: re: Fwd: Re: st: Stata (gllamm) benchmarks for different platforms?

From   David Airey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   re: re: Fwd: Re: st: Stata (gllamm) benchmarks for different platforms?
Date   Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:24:51 -0500

I was fortunate to have some comparisons available where a -gllamm- model was run on different processors. At the time I was (and still do part of the time) running a Pentium 4 at 2 GHz. The comparison processors were an single proc Opteron64 at 2.0 GHz, a dual G5 at 2.0 GHz, and a dual proc Pentium at 2.8GHz.
The G5 and my P4, running at the same speed, ran essentially
similar times. The faster Pentium (2.8 GHz) ran almost exactly proportionately faster than my P4 at 2.0GHz, which was a significant increase, but not enough to make a hardware upgrade worth it to me.
The Opteron 64 ran 3.7 times faster than my P4, although the
clockspeed on both my P4 and the AMD Opteron were both 2.0 GHz

Seems Stata is slower on the Mac OS X. That's been my perception. It's kind of strange considering other tests show the Opteron and G5 as a pretty close match:

http://www.barefeats.com/g5op.html

That aside, does anyone know about any laptops that run the Opteron? Has anyone got Stata for Unix to run on such a laptop if available?

Ah! www.tadpole.com is coming out with an Opteron laptop.

http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/dynamic/news/press/2004/79.html

Will this run Stata for Unix?

-Dave