Re: st: Stata (gllamm) benchmarks for different platforms?

From   Michael Ingre <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Stata (gllamm) benchmarks for different platforms?
Date   Thu, 22 Apr 2004 15:59:56 +0200

Dear List

Discussions of performance can be endless but I thought that I would check
with the sources to see what Apple and AMD has to say about number crunching
performance of double precision floats. And I was impressed.

Apple dual 2GHz G5/Xserve    9 Gigaflops
IBM   dual 2GHz Opteron      6 Gigaflops

http://www.apple.com/xserve/

The numbers for the Opteron System are confirmed in a Technical report from
AMD. Both used the High Performance Computing (HPC) Linpack but, for some
reason there were no comparison with the G5 in the report from AMD ....

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/3949
7A_HPC_WhitePaper_2xCli.pdf

These benchmarks does not tell the whole story about system performance
however, they indicate that the G5 is very competitive (to say the least) in
critical number crunching tasks, suggesting an huge potential in
applications like Stata/gllamm.

Michael