RE: st: RE: Replacing missing values

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Replacing missing values
Date   Thu, 22 Apr 2004 12:26:58 +0100

I can't say what would be better. Tritely,
interpolation works well when you have a few
gaps in very smooth series, and no crude
interpolation method works well otherwise.

I wrote -cipolate- on SSC partly for
a climatological problem (gaps in
temperature time series) for which -ipolate-
seemed too crude, but in practice my tests
based on omitting real data randomly and
seeing which gave the better reconstruction
did not in fact indicate much better performance
by -cipolate-. That is not very surprising
mathematically for small gaps.

I'll stress (again) for anyone listening
that -cipolate- is not a spline method.
That is, cubic interpolation is not
cubic spline interpolation.

You have to try it and see. No remote