st: RE: Replacing missing values

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Replacing missing values
Date   Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:22:02 +0100

You have first to consider the possibility
that your data do _not_ lend themselves
to linear interpolation. If, for example,
investment varies irregularly, as seems
plausible given that is a response to both
macroeconomic and microeconomic factors, then
gaps in a very peaky time series will be difficult to
interpolate accurately.

That said, so long as all your data are
positive, interpolating on the logarithms and
exponentiating the result is a sure
mathematical way of avoiding negative predictions.

Real economists will be able to add more. My
economics education stopped with A-level (British
high school leaving qualification) Economics
in 1969.

joe J.