st: Re: metan command & binary variables

From   "Steichen" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: metan command & binary variables
Date   Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:37:53 -0400

Clint, the calculations are straightforward:

           (a / (a+c))                         a/c
rr =     -----------               or =  -------
           (b / (b+d))                        b/d

given your numbers (as you have plugged them into -metan-):

num1=4, den1=5, num2=4, den2=51

rr=  (4/(4+5)) / (4/(4+51))  =  (4/9) / (4/55) = 6.111111

or = (4/5) / (4/51) = 10.2

The first question is whether you have plugged the data into -metan- in a
manner where either computation is correct. My interpretation of your study
leads me to say you have not done so.

Your 2x2 table is

                        diet successful
                          yes           no         total
adhered               4              1            5
not adhered         4            47          51
total                    8            48          56

Thus OR is (4/1) / (4/47)  =  47

and RR =  (4/5) / (4/51) = 10.2

Those are the correct computations, but you must also ask yourself if either
statistic is appropriate for a study like yours.

OR's are usually computed for case-control studies. Case control studies are
studies in which patients who already have a certain condition (cases) are
compared with people who do not (controls). Your cases would be "successful
dieters" and your controls are "unsuccessful dieters". You start with the
two groups, then determine if they had an exposure of interest ("adherence
to the protocol" in your study).  This does not appear to be how you ran
your study.

RR's are usually computed for cohort studies. A cohort study is a study in
which one group of subjects, who have a certain condition (adherers), and
another group of subjects, who do not have the condition (non-adherers), are
followed and, at some point in time, the subjects are observed to see if
they have the outcome of interest (successful diet).  This is not exactly
how you ran your study either, but it is somewhat closer.

Your study started with one group that split into two groups over time
(creating your condition: adherence) and, later, you observed your outcome:
diet success (or not).  The problem is that you don't know whether adhering
(or not) caused a successful diet (or not) or, contrastingly, whether an
apparently successful diet outcome (or not) encouraged continued adherence
(or not).  Because the condition (adherence) was not predefined, you do not
know which caused what.

You can compute either statistic but interpretation remains difficult for
both.

Tom